With Mini in tow, the days of a starting a holiday with a leisurely shop in duty free and a G&T (or two) on the flight are well and truly over but, with just a little bit of preparation, holidays with your little travel companion can still be enjoyable and relaxing!
Be the leader of the pack with a super-organized travel bag. Make things easier to find by packing these 4 smaller bags to put into your main bag:
- A ‘Goodie Bag’ with a selection of toys, books and a favourite teddy.
- A ‘Nappy Bag’ with nappies, wipes, cream, tissues and a change mat. Always pack at least 2 more nappies than you think you’ll need.
- A ‘Snack Bag’ with water, milk and meals for your tot, along with healthy treats packed in small sandwich bags, perfect for tot-sized hands.
- A ‘Clothes Bag’ with a change of clothes and spare bibs for Mini and a spare top for you. Pack a favourite blanket so Mini can snuggle up if cold or stretch out in the airport lounge.
Don’t forget a few sealable plastic bags to tie up used nappies and wet clothes.
To ensure Mini’s holiday luggage packs a punch, factor on two outfits per day. Here are some top tips:
- Layering clothes is the best way to manage changing temperatures.
- Swimsuits with SPF protection are a must for hot holidays, and sunscreen and hats are necessary regardless of the destination.
- Stock up on washable bibs and pack a portable high chair.
- To stop the new time zone getting the better of Mini’s bedtime routine, take small bottles of her favourite baby wash and lotion before tucking her up in a travel cot (which will double up as a safe play area in the daytime). (Also, stock up on your favourite jet lag remedy.)
- Most hotel rooms or villas will need childproofing. The usual culprits of plug sockets, long curtains and electrical cords will need attention. Masking tape and pipe cleaners offer a quick fix for most danger zones.
- Finally, don’t forget a first aid kit in case of bumps, scrapes and pesky mosquito bites.
Flying High with Mini
A happy Mini means a happy Moi (and fellow passengers!). Take a team trip to the loo just before you board the plane then, with your super organized travel bag, you can both look forward to a top flight. If Mini is traveling on your lap, a baby carrier or sling is a great way for you both to relax and sleep safely.
Smart Mums board the plane last to minimize the time your bundle of energy is cooped up on the plane. On boarding, put a pack of baby wipes in the seat pocket, grab a bottle and/or dummy to relieve ear pressure at take off and landing, then sit back with Mini and her favourite toy and relax.
Don’t forget your camera to capture the magical moments holidaying with your tot (see our Mini Manual on how to take fabulous photos!)
What Mini says:
Sounds like our holiday will be ‘plane’ sailing!
This Mini-et-Moi.com Mini Manual is sponsored by Baby-friendly Boltholes, the website for stylish escapes – perfect for pre-schoolers.
If you enjoyed this article, see Mini-et-Moi.com’s Mini Manuals for Practical Tips of Life with a Baby: